There are two main types of stroke. An ischaemic stroke is where the blood supply to the brain is cut off by a blood clot. This accounts for 85% of all stroke cases. The other 15% are haemorrhagic strokes, where a weakened blood vessel supplying the brain bursts. When the blood supply to any area of the brain is cut off or damaged, vital oxygen and nutrients are prevented from reaching that area, leading to brain injury, disability and sometimes death.
Most people remember the initial signs and symptoms of stroke with the word FAST (Face-Arms-Speech-Time).
Face — the patient’s face has drooped on one side, or their mouth or eye has drooped, or they are unable to smile.
Arms — the patient cannot lift one or both arms because of weakness or numbness.
Speech — their speech has become garbled or slurred, or they are unable to speak at all.
Time — if you see any of the above signs/symptoms, it’s ‘time’ to call 999 immediately.
Those who survive a stroke are often left with long-lasting and sometimes widespread problems, including:
• paralysis and/or weakness down one side of the body, leading to major mobility issues
• problems with cognitive functions such as concentration, memory, spatial awareness and the ability to think and reason
• difficulties communicating, including speaking, writing, reading and understanding
• blurry, impaired or double vision
• bowel and/or bladder control issues.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) involves administering 100% oxygen at greater-than-normal atmospheric pressures inside a purpose-built chamber. The extra oxygen and heightened pressure combined has the potential to increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood around the damaged brain cells and neurons. It’s the same therapy that is routinely used to treat decompression sickness or “the bends” in scuba divers, but increasingly doctors are recommending it to enhance recovery in stroke survivors.
High-profile physician and author of The Oxygen Revolution Dr Paul Harch is widely considered the world’s leading authority on hyperbaric medicine, with experience spanning more than 30 years. He has presented abundant clinical evidence that HBOT may improve post-stroke symptoms. One of Dr Harch’s cases involved a 68-year-old male three-time stroke victim. After a course of HBOT, the patient experienced reduced dizziness, better balance and coordination, improved ability to walk without a cane or leg brace, and a marked improvement in his previously low mood.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for stroke
At the Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Centre in London, stroke patients are looked after by the world-renowned Robert Pender, one of hyperbaric medicine’s earliest pioneers. Patients enter a state-of-the-art, single-person chamber and breathe in 100% oxygen at up to 2 times the normal atmospheric pressure (this is more than most clinics offer.)
To know more about the potential benefits of HBOT for stroke, contact us on 0203 823 1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or book a consultation with Robert Pender, a world-renowned hyperbaric expert, at our Mayfair-based clinic.
Please note that although HBOT having been used for many years as a therapeutic intervention for a variety of indications, the evidence for its use is not proven by “randomized prospective controlled clinical experiment or trial” which is considered to be the strongest form of scientific evidence by conventional medical standards.
People with conditions below may benefit from HBOT as an adjunctive therapy alongside their conventional medical treatments. It is always recommended that clients visit their GP or Consultant if there is any medical problem before commencing HBOT. Our HBOT expert, Robert Pender regularly consults GPs and medical consultants or relevant members (MDs) of International Hyperbaric Medical Association when required whilst client’s confidentiality will be respected and protected throughout.
In accordance with UK and EU legislation we confirm that there is no intention implied or otherwise that HBOT is given so with the intention of it being a cure, diagnosis or as a preventative for any disease. Any references, studies or testimonials on this website do not imply that similar results will occur when the same therapy is experienced by another.