The condition of arthritis causes inflammation within one or many joints of the body and can manifest in over 100 different types – Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is one of the most common . People of all ages can be affected, with around 10 million people living with some form of the condition in the UK.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Rheumatoid Arthritis
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is one of the complementary therapies highly recommended by an increasing number of physicians for rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic pain disorders. HBOT can be prescribed as an adjunct or alternative to drug treatments and other common arthritis therapies.
On top of aiding the repair of diseased joints, HBOT has been found to be beneficial towards lowering blood sedimentation rate, stabilizing immunologic function, strengthening the body’s resistance for eliminating pathogenic factors, suppressing inflammation and treating analgesia.
Here at the Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Centre in London, HBOT sessions are administered by our own hyperbaric expert. For more information on the potential benefits of HBOT for arthritis and other related conditions, contact us on 020 3811 3280 or [email protected], or book a consultation at our Mayfair clinic.
What are Some of the Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis?
RA is a long-term autoimmune disorder that causes those who live with it to have symptoms ranging from joint pain, stiffness and fatigue to other more general symptoms such as inflammation in other parts of the body. Without proper treatment, joints can become permanently damaged and disfigured.
RA can also be present alongside:
- Weight Loss
What Causes Rheumatoid Arthritis?
At this moment, definitive causes of this and other forms of arthritis is still under speculation, however, the following factors seem to be those associated most commonly with its occurrence;
- RA has an inherent female bias with at least twice as many women suffering compared to men
- Rheumatoid arthritis tends to affect adults of any age, although most common diagnoses occur for the more mature person aged between c.40-60 years old
- If you are related to someone suffering from RA, it is generally thought that your chances of developing the same condition are increased
- The risk of developing Rheumatoid Arthritis notably increases for cigarette smokers.
Diet & Weight
- For those with diets high in red meat consumption and/or low amounts of vitamin C, plus people who are found to be medically overweight, there is some evidence to suggest your chances of developing RA will go up
For more information on the potential benefits of HBOT for arthritis and other related conditions…
• Li, W. and Cramer, F. (1995). Proceedings of the Eleventh International Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine. Flagstaff, AZ: Best Pub. Co.
• nhs.uk. (2018). Arthritis. [online] Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arthritis/
• Clinicaltrials.gov. (2018). The Effects of Hyperbaric Oxygen on Rheumatoid Arthritis – Full-Text View – ClinicalTrials.gov. [online] Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02984943
• Sarasgarden.org. (2018). About Gouty Arthritis. [online] Available at: https://sarasgarden.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Gouty-Inflammation-HBOT.pdf
• Slade JB, e. (2018). Pain improvement in rheumatoid arthritis with hyperbaric oxygen: report of three cases. – PubMed – NCBI. [online] Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28763177
• Wilson HD, e. (2018). Hyperbaric oxygen treatment is comparable to acetylsalicylic acid treatment in an animal model of arthritis. – PubMed – NCBI. [online] Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17690013
• Warren J, e. (2018). Therapeutic effect of prolonged hyperbaric oxygen in adjuvant arthritis of the rat. – PubMed – NCBI. [online] Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/426880
Please note that although HBOT having been used for many years as a therapeutic intervention for a variety of indications, the evidence for its use remains uncertain which means that it is not proven by “randomized prospective controlled clinical experiment or trial” which is considered to be the strongest form of scientific evidence by conventional medical standards.
It is always recommended that clients visit their GP or Consultant if there is any medical problem before commencing HBOT.
In accordance with UK and EU legislation, we confirm that there is no intention implied or otherwise that HBOT is given so with the intention of it being a cure, diagnosis or as a preventative for any disease. Any references, studies or testimonials on this website do not imply that similar results will occur when the same therapy is experienced by another.