But what if we told you that your best anti-ageing tool is… air? Specifically, oxygen. The primary and most basic prerequisite for human life to exist is also the most powerful and effective way of prolonging it.
Oxygen provides the body with energy. Without energy, none of our cells can function. However, there is only so much oxygen that our bodies can naturally take in, and as we age, that capacity diminishes. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy gives nature a major boost by opening up our cells and allowing them to take in 10-15 times more oxygen than normal.
How does hyperbaric oxygen work?
Haemoglobin, a protein in our red blood cells, is responsible for transporting 98% of the oxygen we breathe around our body. The other 2% is carried in a watery, colourless fluid called plasma. But as we get older, our arteries narrow, making it more difficult for haemoglobin to pass through them. As a result, parts of our body are deprived of oxygen.
This is the reason why poor circulation is a common problem in older people. What’s worse is that poor circulation is a precursor to numerous age-related illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s, strokes and heart attacks. It can also damage the body’s ability to heal itself of injury and inflammation.
Hyperbaric oxygen doesn’t rely on haemoglobin. Hyperbaric oxygen is pure oxygen absorbed by the body under increased atmospheric pressure. The process saturates our plasma with oxygen instead, which is then able to reach areas that haemoglobin can’t.
In other words, cells that were previously starved of oxygen because of circulatory problems are suddenly flooded with it. With hyperbaric oxygen, thinning arteries are no barrier. The oxygen can still get to where it needs to be to make sure we’re on top form.
So how does hyperbaric oxygen slow down ageing?
The extra oxygen provided by a Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) session is scientifically proven to:
These effects and benefits combined make HBOT a robust anti-ageing measure. Increased oxygenation can delay the onset of chronic conditions like arthritis and osteoporosis, which are contributed by our lungs’ declining ability to take in oxygen as we age. And improved circulation and cellular regeneration can put the brakes on other age-related diseases, such as strokes, heart problems and dementia.
Best of all, HBOT does not just ward off illness or keep you feeling fit. By recharging and rejuvenating you, it can also reduce wrinkles and lines and other visible effects of age.
The number of hyperbaric sessions you require will depend on your individual symptoms and needs, which will be discussed during your initial consultation. If you want to keep hold of that spring in your step for as long as you can, contact the Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Centre on 0203 823 1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, book a consultation with our very own hyperbaric expert Robert Pender.